Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sometimes It’s The Little Things

As I sit here thinking about the process of becoming a published author, I experience the all so familiar excitement bubble. The one which tends to crawl up into the back of my throat and likes to wait there for me to acknowledge it before it quietly makes its way back down to my stomach. You know the feelings you get when someone says ‘some words’ that pump your confidence. They stroke that inner fire that sometimes needs another log because it starts to smolder instead of rage. Well that happened on Monday-- twice.

We all are self conscious about our creative work. It does not matter who you are, published, not published, famous, unknown or even a best seller. We all need to know that what we have to say matters- that our words matter. For me, it’s when people tell me that what I have written is really good. It’s when someone actually sees a whole new side of me that they don’t know exists and they discover the feelings it awakens within them. It’s the validation that your hard work, your passion, has an impact on someone’s life. That’s a pretty powerful thing.


Last Monday, my words impacted people’s lives. Who would have thought a nameless mention in a local newspaper or a conversation with a person whose spouse is reading my work, would have stroked the smoldering hot coals into burning desires to keep going? It’s those little things that create the bubble in the back of my throat that tells me I’m doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment