Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Wake up Call...


Have you ever been at a low in your life?  You know the ones that pull and tug at you until you are flat on your face and nothing seems to be able to lift you from that pit of desperation you cling to like a child afraid of the dark. 

Maybe something happened in your life that you can’t control or something set you off on a tail spin that caused you to fall into a deep rut that you love to hate.  Sometimes we get there and we don’t even know how we arrived.  A theft, a reprimand, or maybe a negative report, something sets us off and we allow the crap to seep into every fold of our being and weigh us down heavy.

But sometimes we recognize the slippery slope we are on and decide to change it.  Maybe we reach for that rope someone has thrown us, or we decide to use our thigh and forearm muscles to clutch to the root of truth that protrudes from the side of that mountain we made out of the mole hill.  

Either way something knocks us upside the head and tells us it is time to climb the fragile edge of perseverance.  My family is healthy and my life is pretty damn good.  So do I let the crap of yesterday cloud my thoughts of today?  no…, No…, NO!  I will not let the material, mundane, over the top crap ruin the fact that I am surrounded by healthy, happy, and loving people.

Instead I step back and re-evaluate who I am and what I want in my life.  Because we all know, what we focus on grows.  I have to stop watering the weeds in my garden and start fertilizing the plants that produce what I want in my life.  I know that if I went down to the nursery and bought tulip bulbs and planted them, tulips would grow in my garden.  It isn’t magic or voodoo… it is the law of cause and effect.  It is the absolute truth of science.  You plant a seed or bulb of a certain plant or flower and you will get exactly that.  The more specific the seed the more precise you will get.  What am I planting in the garden of my life?

Today I saw the example of, “the grass is always greener” and realized that truly it is all about the persona people want you to believe.  Let’s clean the make-up from our eyes and the fingernail polish from the tips of our hands and look at how similar we all really are.  We all want the best for our families.  We all want to feel that we mean something to someone and what we have to say will knock around in the minds of people we care about making a difference in their lives.

Funny thing is… the minute we stop looking for the difference outside of ourselves, we tend to find it within.  When we consciously choose to step back and look at the bigger picture that is when we see the forest for the trees.  When we look at the grass that’s greener and realize the steps they took to make it appear that way is more than what we are willing to sacrifice—that is when we have truly learned the depth of our character.  

My friends, it is time for us to take the bull by the horns and make the choices that reinforce what we essentially want in our lives.  
 
Start with giving yourself a compliment— and actually meaning it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment