Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What Are Your Dreams?

If you could have anything you wanted, what would it be? Have you thought about it lately? Have you stopped running from here to there to think about what you want in your life? How about what you want to do in your life? 

Oh, now stop blowing it off as poppycock. I know there are a lot of you saying, “Come on, Gretch, you gotta stop living in La-La Land and get real.” And you know what? I can appreciate that. Because I used to believe my boat sailed on what my life’s dream was…until, my life’s dream…changed. 

How many of you keep that feeling tangled against your heart? Oh Geez, put your hands down!

Let’s digress back to when we were kids and we thought the world was ours to discover. We weren’t aware of responsibilities of a household, business, or careers. We didn’t worry about where our next meal was coming from or how we were going to make ends meet. We lived under the guise of bliss. We believed in a world of endless possibilities!

Come on how many of us wanted to be professional sports figures, dancers, singers, actresses, or musicians?

It wasn’t until someone came to our party and walked around with a stick pin and popped all our balloons, that we felt we couldn’t live our dreams. Before that, we thought we were going to be the next big thing.

What’s a unfulfilled dream anyway? Is there something different we could to call it? Maybe a lost opportunity? What is a lost opportunity, but a moment we goofed and didn’t open up to the unlimited possibilities in our lives? But hold on…you want to know what’s so amazing about life? It is always giving us new opportunities. Anything is possible. 

That’s right, I said it, and I’ll say it again…The only thing that hinders possibilities is a lack of faith in them.

If we could go back 5 years and ask anyone who knew me, if they thought I would be a writer and a published author whose books are selling, they’d probably laugh in your face. They would first check to see if you are delirious, then laugh in your face.

That is what’s so amazing about life…you can be anything you want if you’re willing to do the work. Dreams change, our bodies’ change, and our ideas change, so maybe the dream of being a world famous ballerina at 45 is unreasonable, but opening your own studio might not be. Funding young people who have talent and opportunities might become your dream.

Dreams of your childhood always have a way of evolving and morphing into dreams you have as adults.

Maybe the dreams you had as a child catapulted different dreams for you as an adult. You never know where life is going to take you, so why are you trying to hold onto the reigns and control it.

I tried that. Hell, my hands hurt so bad from clutching those reigns of life. I still find myself trying to control life. But every time I let go and let the Universe guide me, I find it turns out so much better than when I try and outline what is going to happen or how it will occur.

It's always so funny to me; the moment I stopped trying to steer the roller coaster it instantly became more enjoyable. Suddenly, I was excited to feel the drops, turns, and loops ahead. I had no control of what was going to happen to me, so when I realized and embraced it, I had a blast. Besides the fact that roller coasters don’t have steering wheels!

Okay, I’ll let you in on my dream when I was younger…I desperately wanted to be an actress, to the point of majoring in drama in college and continuing my schooling with private lessons in the city for several years…I never made it to Hollywood, but I learned how to connect with my inner confidence and speak to large groups, and I discovered I could write pretty good stories. By following my dream to be an actress, it opened me up to my adult dream of becoming a published author. I could say my dreams came true, even if it manifested through my novels.

Thanks for hanging out and reading my ramblings~

The sunset as we drove to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers!

No comments:

Post a Comment