Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Shake Off the Sand Under Your Feet


“And when you leave that place, shake off the sand under your feet.”*

I recently read this and it resonated with my soul. As a matter of fact, it shook me up and thumped relentlessly against all the bubbling doubt that seems to swell in my head. I call it a “ah-ah moment.” It’s the most basic use of words (aren’t they all), but very powerful none the less.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve dragged my old worn-out past into a bright new experience. All the times I’ve fretted over someone’s interpretations and judgments because in my mind they must have been right. They said it—so it must be true. I can’t count how many times I’ve let the thoughtless words and actions of people live and breed in my soul. 

So when I read this section of the passage I stopped and pondered (Yeah, there were words hanging out before and even some after). But it was these thirteen strung together words that flooded every crevice of my consciousness and blasted the insecurity, worry and doubt from my mind. Okay that is a bit of an exaggeration, but I will say, it made me really understand how to move through experiences that are less than comfortable.

See the way I interpret this passage is like this…We must stop giving power to the limited ideas of others as we move forward in our journey. Stop owning the labels that are thoughtlessly plaster across every ambition burning tirelessly in your soul; whether it is someone’s opinion or the distracting voice in your head.  Isn’t it time to shake off the sands of doubt, fear, and judgment and leave it where it belongs? 

It’s not the words of others that poison our hearts, it’s the fear and doubt that we keep cultivating in our minds that does us in. Don’t blame anyone, or even yourself for past choices or mistakes; it does nothing in moving you forward in your life. You are better off learning from your mistakes and keeping them where they belong….in the past.

Hey I’m not saying drop your friends, join a monastery, and ohm twelve hours a day. Let’s not go to extremes. But what I am saying is that as you let go of judgment, let go of fear, and let go of limited ideas you will find that your world begins to blossom into a life of unlimited possibilities.

Hey I know it is a lot of work! Not every day will be filled with raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. There are days you’ll curse the world, fear the outcomes, and downright wish you could pull the covers over your head. BUT (and it’s a BIG but) as you stop relying on old expired ideas, worn out excuses and worthless fears you will begin to experience a renewed faith in yourself. You will begin to see who you are again. You will feel your dreams bubble to the surface, taste the excitement for living, and uncover the love you inadvertently buried deep in your heart.

Start small, wake up and begin your day in gratitude. Maybe the sun is shining, or there was just enough toothpaste left to brush your teeth. Find EVERYTHING that you can be grateful for; no matter how small or insignificant it seems, stand in gratitude for it. Eventually you will begin to pile up those small moments of gratitude and before you know it the scale of your life laden with disharmony and fear will lose its impact and you will become light, lifted, and empowered again. 

It is up to you~ this is your life~ your moment to shine. Stand in the wake of discovering who you are with a clear mind and an open heart.

No words can explain how much it means to me, knowing that you keep coming back to read my blog. Thank you from the deepest crevice of my heart. 

I AM GRATEFUL.

*St. Mark 6-11


No comments:

Post a Comment