Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fake...Fake...Fake...

Sometimes I think back to the Seinfeld episode when Elaine tells Jerry she has faked it with him before. (Come on ladies, you know you had to at some point.) Jerry lists out different times they were together and Elaine points in the vacant air in front of her and tells him, ‘fake…fake…fake.’ Of course, Jerry becomes obsessed with getting Elaine to give him another chance. Elaine keeps trying to reassure him everyone fakes it, and it really isn't a big deal. Eventually Jerry convinces Elaine that they have to have sex to save the friendship.

You may be asking, what does a Seinfeld episode about faking it, has to do with writing or this blog. First, the writing for that show was just brilliant. But that fact that you could apply it to different areas of your life, and see where sometimes you had to ‘fake it’…makes it epic. You all know life can be that way. There are times when you have to ‘fake it til’ you make it’. You have to ‘act as if’ in order to bring to fruition what you want in your life, and yet sometimes you find yourself always trying to prove you can do it. If you ‘act as if’ enough, eventually; you start to embody the definition of what you want to be.

I want to be a successful published author, so I have to act as if. Because if I do it long enough and convince every cell in my body that I am, the world can't help but see me that way.

I would be lying if I didn’t tell you I ache to put the words, published author after my name. I want it so bad, I almost sent my half-edited manuscript and query letter to my top 5 agents. I was able to stop by asking myself, would a published author do that? Would they send something in without making sure it shined? I don’t think so, so I grabbed a pencil and kept polishing my manuscript. I needed to embody the feelings and ideas of a published author. Fake it til’ you make it. Because I know that there will be a day when published author is printed after my name and I'll sit in a coffee shop pointing out all the times I had to fake it.


Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlpD2Ata8kI Thanks-d0mag0j

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite episodes - loved the blog, you are so right...fake it til you make sister, hang on you are closer than it feels!

    ReplyDelete